|Xiao Long Bao|
|Pad See Ew (my fave Thai dish)|
Okay guys, I know I have been MIA. And I have a lot of places to tell you about, but ya know…billable hours? Hopefully I can catch up this weekend. But in the meantime you tell me how you like these top stories.
Apparently this weekend is BBQ weekend, and it is only fitting as it is the weekend before Labor Day, the end of summer, and a hot 85 degrees. So grab a friend, starve yourself all morning and check out the fun below:
1. Pig Out 3.0 will take place August 24 from 2-7 PM in Costa Mesa. Eat all things pig including dishes from your favorite restaurants (and mine) such as A Restaurant, Little Sparrow, Fireside Tavern and more. Other restaurants are sending their very best mixologists to help you all wash it down. I promise you, you will smell like pig when you leave…Mind you, you have to pay $75 for that l’eau de toilette.
2. This Saturday the Fullerton Arboretum is hosting its Brews, Blues and BBQ for an adult only crowd. Enjoy some Blues music as you taste your way through California’s best breweries. For $45 you receive 10 4 oz. tastings, a souvenir tasting glass and a potential DUI. The BBQ is not included and is an additional cost, but at least you can choose what you want to eat? Should be a gorgeous weekend for a concert.
3. Long Beach is having its own BBQ Festival ALL WEEKEND LONG. And for $80 you can become a VIP and have all you can eat access (I’m looking at you Wu). There will be music and dancing, but really if you are eating all that food you probably just want a stretcher to take you from booth to booth. I wonder how much that would cost….There is also a Photo Booth, but really no one wants to see a picture of you with BBQ sauce down your shirt…
Sorry I have been MIA again, a packed schedule at work plus a long weekend in San Francisco (post to come soon) means I have zero time for an outside life…and then I got sick. However, this weekend is too packed with good stuff not to let you in on it.
1. The Copper Door (one of my favorite bars in the OC) is FINALLY serving food. If you love craft beer, this bar is a must. Although dingy, dark and probably dirty, the vibe is a fun underground club with lots and lots and lots of beers on tap. Their new menu is American- cuisine and currently all items are priced under $10. Can you believe there is such a place?? Anyway, I am dying to go check it out.
2. The new Irvine Improv opens with Umami Burger. Irvine Improv has always been a little low brow, especially when you have to spend money on 2 items of either a horrible cocktail or really bad food. However, fret no more. Umami Burger will be served at all shows, beers are actually fairly decent, and if you fancy girl, they have bottle service (I mean really?). The Improv also has opened up in a new location at the Spectrum, so hopefully it is bigger and better. I am checking it out this weekend so I will let you know!
3. Costa Mesa Restaurant Week! Although restaurant week is not always my favorite, it is a great way to try places you normally cannot afford. And Costa Mesa has some of the best restaurants in the OC. Check out the selection here: http://www.travelcostamesa.com/costa-mesa-restaurant-week/. It starts today and only lasts a week, so plan your meals accordingly!
4. Orange County is hosting its own music festival this weekend. The Pacific Festival is being held at the Dunes this Saturday. If you didn’t catch Holy Ghost at Outside Lands this past weekend, they will be finishing up the night. Tickets are $75.
Hope the weather is great this weekend, because we have a lot of things to do!
Vitaly is tucked in the back of the Camp in Costa Mesa. It is an Italian (fairly authentic) restaurant that serves, breakfast, lunch and dinner, has a coffee bar, gelato and baked goods. It really tries to offer everything you could want. The dinner sounds really good – homemade pastas; the baked goods are tasty; and the coffee options are delicious. However, the breakfast was unimpressive.
|I know it’s weird, but when I asked for ketchup for my breakfast, this was all I got. BUGS ME SO MUCH!|
|fried cookie dough = heaven|
|biggest corn dogs ever, and I don’t mean the girls…|
Other things to be excited for:
Taco Asylum’s brand new menu of tacos (including Bacon PB&J!).
C4 Deli’s Cupcake and Wine Pairing Nights on Thursday.
Blaze has opened in Mission Viejo.
The Robbins Nest Wine Bar is alive and kicking in Santa Ana.
Montreal Poutine has opened in Costa Mesa.
If you are in the Costa Mesa/Newport/Santa Ana area, or need a break from shopping all day at South Coast, I would recommend happy hour here. It’s not crowded, its friendly service (most of the time), and the price is just right.